Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Evolution of an Idea



Hello and welcome to Sound Sew, my newest adventure. As many of you know, in recent years, I've been the driving force behind a couple of different sewing ventures - lilliputianmama.etsy.com was handsewn goods for kids and smallgrapes.etsy.com is my current fabric store. I closed the Lilliputianmama shop when I was expecting my third child as I simply didn't have the time to commit to sewing all the fantastic appliqued shirts, twirl skirts, felt pizza, and other fun goodies that I sewed. With waning creative juices and simply time, I opened a fabric shop - smallgrapes.etsy.com.

That switch between creating to supplying the goods to be creative worked for awhile during the first year or so of my son's life when I was sludging through the loss of creativity. But it was and still is tough. Only having a presence on the web can be very isolating and even depressing. And as my creative brain started to reawaken, it became apparent that I crave more. I crave contact with people, both online and in a physical presence. I don't want to sit in front of a computer all day. I want to interact, I want to sew, I want to create. So, that has led to the creation of Sound Sew, which is blossoming into a way for me to do all of those things.

Sound Sew will begin offering creative sewing workshops in the Puget Sound area in 2012. These workshops will be geared towards anybody and everybody. During these workshops, everything that you could need, from fabric to irons to rotary cutters and even to a sewing machine if you need one, will be provided in the workshop fee. The best part is that you will walk away from the workshop with not only some new found skills and confidence, but an actual completed project. These projects will range in scope from pillowcases, drawstring bags, apparel, home dec items to beyond. Is there something you want to create? Shoot me a message and I'll see what we can do to meet your needs.

Beyond those sewing workshops, I also hope to create packages of sewing machines and other items that are vital to sewing for rent. Sewing can be an expensive venture to start in and I want to help mitigate those costs and get people creating. I also hope to offer up some of my custom sewn items and patterns at some point. And as my brain works in wild ways, expect to see recipes and design goodies along the way as well.

Please feel free to email me at SoundSew@gmail.com at any time and to follow the evolution of Sound Sew on this blog as well as follow Sound Sew on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I wish I lived in the Puget Sound area! I wish you all the best in your new endeavor Shannon. :)

    ReplyDelete